Thursday, April 29, 2010

Ashwood-verse

Okay, so when I said I was writing a Duke-centric Glide Like Ghosts, I was wrong. I've got the urge to do something pre-Sebastian, Olivia, and Viola. Alicia Ashwood isn't my favorite character, she's not meant to be. Which is why, I suppose, I want to write her story. Well, part of her story anyway.

It goes a little something like this:

For nineteen-year-old Alicia Ashwood, the proposal she dreamed of, with flowers and music and a shiny diamond ring, was nothing like the reality. Seated on one side of the kitchen table with her mother while her fiancĂ©-to-be sat with his parents and aunt on the other, Alicia felt like she was in the middle of a courtroom drama or a corporate merger. There was nothing romantic about having her future boiled down to “negotiable terms” and “power transfers.”

She sighed as quietly as possible, well aware that if she caught her mother’s attention, she could expect a lengthy lecture once their guests were gone. She was a lady, an Ashwood, and she was supposed to be above petty things like boredom and disillusionment. She smiled serenely, brushed an errant lock of blonde hair off her forehead when Gerard Burke, the man who’d stolen her heart, glanced in her direction.

----

And for the rest, you'll just have to wait. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment